Thursday, October 25, 2007

Neil


It seems like years ago my sister let me borrow Harvest Moon (it was). Anyway, that album and the classic Harvest would go on to be two of my favorite Neil Young albums when I was younger. I've been lucky enough to see Neil perform at the first reunion show of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young back at 1999(??) at The Palace in Detroit, at MSG with the Band of Horses, and at his annual (actually happening this upcoming weekend!) Bridge School Benefit at Shoreline Amphitheater (with Paul McCartney!, Eddie Vedder, Sonic Youth and many more.).

Needless to say, when I heard he was doing his first acoustic theater tour since 1996 this late fall I was VERY excited. I scored a pair to one of the United Palace shows and today saw a setlist and downloaded a show from Monday of this week in Portland. Show looks great - 11 acoustic songs to open with Neil only and then another 11 song electric song with a stripped down band.

Although much has been made about how expensive the better seats are on this tour, I can't stress enough how MUCH it is worth seeing Neil. His songs are all classics and his lyrics are some of the best ever written. It is not surprising to know that both Thom Yorke and Eddie Vedder have been influenced by this wonderful musician. Hearing Radiohead (and Thom especially) do the intro to After the Goldrush before playing Everything In Its Right Place (cough cough, great song;) still gives me chills to this day.

Below, you can download Neil performing "After The Gold Rush" this past Monday and Thom Yorke covering the same song at the Bridge School Benefit a few years ago. (once i figure out how to post mp3s, I will add, sorry!)

Enjoy...